The Livingston Parish School Board, in an attempt to provide a safe and healthy learning environment, recognizes that the accident/death of a student or staff member, or a threatened, attempted or completed suicide, or other crises, can have a traumatic effect on the school community. The Superintendent shall be responsible for establishing and maintaining pertinent activities to be conducted when a crisis occurs.
To minimize trauma when a crisis occurs and to identify students at risk because of the trauma, each school shall form a Crisis Intervention Team consisting of school counselors, school administrators, school substance abuse coordinator, School Building Level Committee chairman, and a staff member trained in CPR and First Aid. Other professional personnel permanently assigned to the school may be added to a Crisis Intervention Team as may be designated by the principal. Activities in times of crisis shall include:
1. Obtain emergency medical assistance for the individual, if necessary;
2. Notify and/or involve the individual's parent or guardian;
3. Make referrals to appropriate professional or agency for treatment, or contact Protective Services if parent contact will increase risk;
4. Maintain the individual's and family's right to privacy;
5. Identify and assist other individuals who may be at-risk because of the situation;
6. Involve other professionals in the community and/or school system as needed.
7. Notify the Superintendent.